Monday, May 5, 2008

Rice Cereal Experience

Well at Mason's last check up, his doctor told me I could start giving Mason rice cereal and baby food. I was so excited! So I started with rice cereal. Obviously from the video, I didn't wait until we got a little spoon to feed him with. Although I tasted just a little bit and it kinda tasted like metal. I don't know if that's just how rice cereal tastes, but I really want to get a little baby spoon now!

So Mason liked rice cereal the first day - maybe just because it was new. Gradually he liked it less and less. By the fourth day, he was making faces and arching his back. So I mashed up an avacado for him and he didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Then yesterday, I gave him a mashed up banana. Now that was the biggest hit yet! Obviously it is sweet, so not a mystery why he liked it so much. I know they say to give them vegetables first so they will eat them, but I couldn't resist the banana.

It's funny because Mason has gotten more and more interested in watching me eat food. But just shortly after we got the go ahead for solid food, he was so enthralled with me whenever I ate, I almost felt bad not giving him a bite. Just the other day, in fact, I was eating a bowl of pasta and Mason was so excited about it, he completely knocked it out of my hands and it landed upside down on the carpet. So much for being able to multi-task by eating and holding Mason at the same time!

4 comments:

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

That is so fun. They grow up so fast, and then you start to get baby hungery, and what not. I was the same way with baby food. The other things on the shelf looked so much better than Vegtables. So I would always give them what looked good to me. They are healthy and happy kids. So oh well for doing it all wrong.

karen said...

Way to go MASON!! I have some boxes of cereal I will have to give you next month. Josh is most of the time eating real food. He got his #5&6 tooth last week and eats almost everything. Cant wait to see him. He's getting so big.

karen said...

We have a TON of baby spoons. You can have what I have when we get there if you want them. We are getting our carpet put in on thursday so Im really boxing everything now. Time is coming soon.

Christi said...

I can't believe my little nephew is growing so fast! He is just the cutest (I always say he looks like a commercial baby because those baby blues could sell just about anything!) As far as veggies go, I doubt that they taste very good in rice cereal; although carrots are kind of sweet. Grace only ate rice cereal with fruit added in or with sweet potatoes. Try those for variety (plus they are one of the most nutritious foods according to my pediatrition.)