Thursday, January 21, 2010

One Week Goes By...

Well, life with two children can be quite interesting!  I keep telling myself that lots of people do it, but that doesn't make it easier.  Now don't get me wrong, it's not horrible or impossible.  In fact, there have been more good days than not so good days.  Today just happened to be a tough day.

Dakota is a princess.  She is calm and unless it is her feeding time, she is pretty much happy with whatever situation she is in.  In fact, a couple days ago I was talking to Scott and my mom about how worried I was that something was wrong with her - like she was sick or something.  Then I realized that it's okay that she doesn't cry.  It's okay that she doesn't need to be held in multiple positions to make her content.  It's okay that she will just lay there, asleep or awake, and not make a fuss for not getting any attention.

I realized I was comparing her to Mason, which will inevitably happen.  It's funny, because I didn't consider him a hard baby, and I still don't.  I had nothing to compare him to and my life was dedicated to making him happy.  So all the time I spent trying to make him happy, to me, seemed like a normal thing that a parent has to do with their baby.

Mason completely loves his baby sister.  He is always wanting to kiss her, hug her, touch her, and hold her.  I try to let him give her lots of love, with my help, because I don't want him to think he has to stay away from her.  But he is extremely fast, and sometimes he gets to her before I am there to help.  Needless to say, she has already been picked up by her big brother all by himself, and held upside down on a separate occasion.  Dakota didn't cry either time.

Having my mom here is a huge help!  Sometimes I will be feeding Dakota when Mason decides to do something dangerous, and I'm lucky she is there to help.  I have been alone with the two on just a few occasions, but it has gone wonderful every time.

I am confident that when my mom leaves next Tuesday (is it really almost Tuesday already??), I will be able to handle two children.  I just need to remember that there will be good days and hard days, and that I need to have patience with sweet Mason when he isn't acting so sweet.  He is two years old after all, and is having to share my attention with another little person.  I admit that I am becoming better at nursing while walking/running and escorting Mason to his room.  :o)

On a sad note, I realized as I was downloading pictures that our camera is busted.  Most of the pictures I have taken of Dakota are fuzzy and all pink and purple.  Bad timing.  So time for a new camera.  Meanwhile, here a few pictures that came before the camera stopped working right.






3 comments:

Queen 'Bina said...

Welcome to the adjustment period! Yes, lots of people do the parenting-two-kids thing everyday. But everyone has to go through an adjustment period. I confess mine was probably easier than most because Jared was in Kindergaden by the time we got Dilly, but it was still a huge change and I needed time to adapt to it. I'm glad you're feeling generally positive about the whole thing though. Just remind yourself on the tough days that before you know it, you'll be an old pro at parenting two kids and soon others will marvel at your superior coping abilities. So proud of you and your family. Congrats again!

The Tanner Family said...

It is an adjustment! I know you can do it! Those pictures are so priceless! Sorry about your camera, but hey a good reason for a new one! I love the picture of her smiling! She is beautiful.

Jenni said...

Dakota is such a cutie! What an adorable little girl! You're so lucky!