Sunday, January 20, 2013

mason, the birthday boy

It seems strange to me that I have a 5 year old. People have always told me since the day Mason was born that the time goes by fast so I should savor every moment. I always smiled and nodded, but in the moment being a first time mom and not sleeping much during the night, time sure didn't seem to be going by fast.

And now here we are, 5 years later. And I realize they were all right. The time has gone by fast. My cute chunky baby boy is now 5 and I actually shed a tear thinking about it the day I started this post. I thought about the fact that I am raising this boy, responsible for him and his actions. Am I teaching him what he needs to know to make good choices and to be a strong, confident, kind person?

I am certainly doing the best I can, and I think he is an incredible boy with an awesome personality. But it is an awful lot to be responsible for. These little people depend on us parents to get them going in the right direction in this crazy world. And even though he only goes to preschool twice a week, when he does go, he is on his own. Those are the moments I pray he remembers the things we have taught him.

I remember Mason as a baby and I swear he was the cutest baby ever. Looking at pictures of him now brings back so many memories. It's funny how we wait for our babies to sleep through the night, but really, they never stop waking up. They just have different reasons for waking us up as they get older. Obviously they aren't waking up as much as when they were babies, but they still manage to wake up in the middle of the night. Gotta love those nights when all three of my children wake me up.

Okay back to Mason's birthday. I asked Mason what kind of birthday party he wanted and right off the bat, he knew it had to be The Avengers. The party was awesome! We spent a lot of time on it, but not too much money so it worked out.

He wanted to invite his whole class, which was the rule anyway. You can't bring invitations for only a couple kids. If you invite one, you have to invite them all, which was ten. Plus there were church friends, neighborhood friends and cousins. Altogether, we got 16 RSVP's back and so that is what we planned for. When the party started though, we had some siblings that came too, which is awesome! We just felt bad that we didn't have enough goodies for everyone.

After everyone arrived, I assembled the avengers to our driveway where I had drawn a map of their mission for the day. It had a picture of Captain America vs Red Skull, Spiderman vs Green Goblin, Professor Xavier, and Loki and Thanos. It was on a big white piece of paper from one of those paper rolls, so like 3 feet by 6 feet. I told them to take a look at their mission and then they could grab some markers and start coloring the pictures and drawing themselves on the map.

After they were done coloring, Nick Fury (Scott) came out to assemble the Avengers and tell them what he needed them to do. He began handing out a backpack to each of them. Scott makes shirts and signs at his sign shop so he wanted to make personalized backpacks and water bottles for the kids. They each had a backpack and water bottle with the Avengers symbol and their name on it. Inside the backpack was an Avengers pen and a piece of cardstock with a list of their missions to check off when completed.

Once they had their backpacks on, they headed in the house for their first mission. They had to shoot down some cups with Red Skull's picture on it, then they got a packet of Super Soldier Serum (crystal light lemonade packet) like the serum that turned Captain America into a superhero. They took their super soldier serum and each dumped it into their water bottles, shook it up, took a drink, then headed out the back for their next mission.

Outside we had put 75 balloons inside our trampoline, half with marbles inside. The balloons were Green Goblin's bombs and they had to go sift through the balloons to find the ones with marbles inside. Once they did, we popped them, they put the marbles in their backpack, and headed to the other side of the yard for their next mission (all the while checking off their missions on their checklist).

For the next mission, Thanos had taken some superheroes and we needed to rescue them. We had a hat covered in tin foil as Professor Xavier's cerebro. Each child took turns putting on cerebro and then heading into the yard to rescue the superheroes (Mason's toy superhero figures) which were hidden around the yard.

After the superheroes were rescued, we started through the gate, back into the front yard for our last mission. They all grabbed a handle of our parachute and we lifted it up and down. I called each of their names and one by one they would run under the parachute, grab a laser ring and run out. Once everyone had a laser ring, they grouped into fours, put their hands out and put their rings together, which meant they had captured Thanos' infinity gauntlet. That was their last mission. We intended to put a picture of Thanos on the pinata for them to hit but it ended up just saying Happy Birthday!  The kids seemed to enjoy themselves and Scott and I did too!

This time of year is always super busy, but tons of fun! Mason's birthday on December 14th, Christmas on the 25th, and then Dakota's birthday on January 11th.  Sometimes we are tired out from all the festivities before Kota's birthday rolls around, but we want to make sure that she has just as cool of a

 Mason and his friend Kinsey from school...

Drawing and coloring on their map of missions...

Nick Fury gathering the Avengers...

Waiting to receive their mask and backpack...




Shooting Red Skull to get Captain America's super hero serum...




Shaking up their super hero serum...

Searching for Green Goblin's bombs...




Marking off her mission...


Using cerebro to find the missing superheroes...  




Listening for where to go for their next mission...





Five people had a turn at the pinata, until this boy smacked it open!  :o)



Mason doesn't like cake, so his dessert of choice was brownies!




0 comments: