Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cooper Arya

Our precious girl, Cooper Arya, was born on Thursday, September 6th.  I love hearing about labor and delivery stories, so my story will hopefully have as much detail as I can remember.  (Which means, this is a LONG post)  :o)

But first here is me 4 days after my due date, which is 4 days before giving birth.
On Tuesday, September 4th, my doctor called and told me she had scheduled an induction for the following day, which would be a week overdue.  She had told me she didn't want me going over 41 weeks.  However, because I choose to go through labor without an epidural, being induced REALLY scared me.  I told her that and asked to have one more day to see if I could go into labor on my own.  She agreed and set the induction for Thursday the 6th.

Truthfully, I was able to get a couple projects done that I hadn't done yet.  You know, typical nesting activities.  I washed the walls and scrubbed the laundry room floor.  Scott thought I was crazy.  Finally Thursday morning came and there were no signs that our baby wanted to come on her own.  So we headed to the hospital for our 7:30am induction.  At this point, I was super nervous about everything, especially the pitocin.  The way I saw it, it almost seemed silly that I would get medicine to begin my labor, but I wouldn't get medicine to help me feel better? Oh well, I still had a goal to go through it without an epidural, so that is what I went in hoping for.

We got settled in our room. (And by settled I mean changing into a fabulously trendy little off-white gown with little blue designs on it.  I'm sure I was the first to wear it.)  After changing and feeling quite a draft from all of the open areas in my gown, in walked my nurse.  Normally it would be down to business getting things ready, but this nurse I totally recognized!  It was a nice lady from my church! She asked if I was comfortable with the situation or if I preferred to have a different nurse so it wasn't awkward.  Absolutely not! I was thrilled to have her as my nurse. At this point, having a nurse (we'll call her Nurse E) on my side and just knowing her made me feel more comfortable.  I felt like I was surrounded by people I knew and loved.

There was a nurse with her that was fresh out of nursing school that made me a bit nervous.  She kept doing things that had to be quickly corrected.  Luckily Nurse E was right there to make sure everything was as it should be.

With me in my room at this point was Scott and Monica, my doula.  My mother in law would be joining us later on.

They checked me before they got things going and found that I was dilated to a 2. By 9am the pitocin was making it's way through the IV bag and into my body.  They started the pitocin out at 2 (whatever that means) and increased it gradually by 2's.  I didn't feel too much at first. After they increased it a bit I was feeling more contractions and they gradually grew in intensity.  I spent most of that time either on the birthing ball or standing up, leaning over the bed during contractions.  This beginning part I like to do on my own, especially because the contractions weren't super intense yet.

At 12pm, my doctor came in, and at that point they were going to up my pitocin to a 16.  My doctor said that the highest they go with pitocin was a 20. So she said the options from here was to either break my water or go home and wait. I was unsure because I knew that breaking my water would double the intensity of contractions.  But also, I knew that at that point, there was no turning back.  If my body truly wasn't ready when my water was broken, and I didn't start having some good contractions, this baby would have to come out one way or another.  I guess that's what I feared most, a C-section.

Scott and I said a little prayer and I told my doctor to come back in an hour or so to break my water.  I was having more regular contractions, but still nothing real intense yet.  Scott and Monica were doing a good job keeping ice chips and chapstick within my reach.  Monica was also helping me to find a position that would work best for me.  It was great having her there to make sure I wasn't settling for a position I didn't feel comfortable in.  Finally at 1:30pm, my doctor came back, checked me and broke my water.  I was dilated to a 4.

The broken bag of waters did the trick.  My contractions really did intensify. Since I had to get back on the bed for my water to be broken, I found it very comfortable to sit "criss cross applesauce" on the bed. This allowed me to relax a lot and not have to hold myself up to save up my energy.  I remember really needing to focus at this point by closing my eyes and I think I was rolling my head in a circle during contractions or something.

Monica and the nurse kept asking me if I felt pressure or the need to push.  I remember hoping to be at that point because that would mean I was close to the end. I remember feeling pressure, but not the need to push.  With that pressure being felt, the nurse checked me and I was at a 6 1/2.  Not sure what time that was at, maybe 3 or 4?  I'll have to ask my fabulous doula.  Hearing that 6 1/2 made me frustrated and being checked did NOT feel good.  I told myself (or maybe I told everyone in the room, I'm not sure) that I did not like being checked and I wasn't going to say anything about the pressure I was feeling anymore.

The nurse said the baby needed to turn more so she had me laying on my left side and then my right side.  Through this I was having some pretty strong contractions and needed Scott and Monica's help to get through.  Monica helped me keep my breathing in check and was holding my hand. Scott was holding up one leg, per my request, and holding my other hand I believe.

The next hour or two are all blurred together in my mind with pain.  I'm so grateful that Scott and Monica were there to help me, support me, and keep me going.  At one point my head was resting on Monica's chest, and I was holding on pretty tightly to Scott and Monica.  I remember chanting a couple phrases in my head during this last part.  I don't quite remember the words I said, but it was something positive to get me through each contraction.

There finally came a time where I was bearing down and trying to push because it felt better during my contraction to do that.  Monica noticed what I was doing (remember I didn't want to say anything about pressure or the urge to push) and I think she told the nurse I was probably ready to push.

Apparently at this point, the nurse was watching the baby monitor carefully and calling for my doctor.  She arrived and is always so positive that I never knew they were monitoring the baby's heart rate so much. The next day my doctor shared this part of the story with me. Apparently when she came in and watched the monitor, she had a feeling the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck, because the heart rate would drop a ton during contractions. I remember Dr. Arya telling me between pushing contractions to take big deep breaths for the baby.

When my Dr. arrived, she checked me, which seriously HURT. She said I had just a fingertip left before this baby girl would fit through the cervix. During a contraction, Dr. Arya attempted to sweep her finger around the cervix opening to allow her head to come through so that I could push. This hurt so much that apparently I not only kicked my doctor, but hit my poor husband in the balls. Oops! So when this contraction was over, Dr. Arya explained what she needed to do and that it needed to happen during a contraction. Somehow I let her do her thing during the next contraction.

When I had began pushing at first, it felt good to push.  Well, by "good" I mean it didn't hurt quite as bad during my contractions and I felt like I was working with the contraction. But after a couple contractions, it just plain hurt to push.

I was on my left side when I started pushing. I had asked for a squatting bar, so this was the time they attached it to the end of the bed.  Wow, do I like those things.  Not sure why they don't recommend them more. Pushing while on my left side didn't feel good at all, not that any position would actually feel good.  So I rolled forward and was sort of on my back, but with the bed folded up so that I wasn't actually lying down.

During each contraction, I would grab onto the squatting bar and push with every ounce of energy I had.  They brought a mirror in so that I could see the baby as she came out.  I swear I felt like I was pushing forever before I saw a head appear in that mirror.  Granted the mirror's reflection was not a familiar picture to me.  Let's just say it is amazing what a woman's body is capable of.  Completely amazing.

Finally I began to see a tiny bit of a head in the mirror.  But it was so painful to keep pushing. I remember at one point saying, "Come on, get out of there!" People talk about the ring of fire during birth because of a burning feeling usually when the largest part of the baby's head comes through. Well, I don't specifically remember anything like that with my other two babies, but this time, I think I may have felt that sensation.

The pushing part of giving birth is interesting because as you push, trying to get that baby's head to come out, you have to rest between contractions.  But heaven knows you don't want that baby's head to go back in, so your rest between pushing, well at least in this experience, MY rest between pushing didn't feel very restful. Because that baby's head is still right there stretching you to the max!

So as I pushed and pushed, I finally began seeing a very large head coming through. But as soon as that sweet head was out, I noticed that my doctor began doing something. Apparently the cord was wrapped around Cooper's neck, and the cord was too short to allow her to continue coming out without cutting the cord.  So my doctor was literally clamping and cutting the umbilical cord while just a head was sticking out.  It was an interesting feeling and an interesting sight as well!

As soon as the cord was cut, I pushed the rest of her chunky little body out. Apparently my doctor also had to turn Cooper around at some point as she was coming out.  But I'm not sure when that happened, as I was busy moaning in pain and pushing my baby out.  :o)

The afterbirth this time was so uncomfortable and painful for some reason.  My body was shaking so much (which I always do after giving birth), that during the afterbirth, daddy was spending time with Cooper. Lucky too, because I was feeling like I was having another contraction and I literally had to push out the placenta, which I really did not want to do! I actually told my doctor I didn't want to push again. I mean I had just been pushing for like half an hour or so right?! But once I pushed it out, I felt such a relief!

So she was finally here! They had to suction her mouth a bit or something, and then within seconds of her birth, I believe, she was laid on my chest.  What a wonderful moment that was.  Looking into those little eyes.  The eyes of a sweet baby that I have carried around for over 9 months. A baby that I have felt move and kick and hiccup inside me.  A baby that I spent the whole day focusing on and laboring for. A precious little gift straight from heaven, that was all mine! It's amazing how much love you can feel in that moment.

My friend that also just gave birth to her third baby, recently said that it was the hardest thing she has ever done. I completely feel the same.  I have given birth to two other babies. But somehow those births were so completely different from this one. This third baby was THE hardest and most painful thing I have ever done. Without a doubt.  But oh how the rewards come from the moment I held her in my arms.

Even just last night, as she was fussy and wanting to be held, I truly loved just holding her and cuddling her and helping her feel safe in my arms. I do love that feeling; when I can bring comfort to my sweet little Cooper.

Cooper weighed 8 lbs. 14 oz. when she was born.  Now THAT is why my belly was so freakin big! Mason was 7lbs 4oz and Dakota was 6lbs 7oz. So this baby just 2 oz shy of 9 lbs was super big for me! She was 21 & 1/4 inches long.

At her one week appt, Cooper weighed 9lbs 4oz  and at her two week appt today, she weighed 10lbs 2oz. She is doing fabulous and loves her big brother and big sister. At first I was so nervous about them smothering her, but sometimes it's like she just looks at them and enjoys seeing and listening to them. It's so cute to see siblings love and care for their new little baby sister.

Cooper usually gives me at least a little bit of rest at night. She's given me 4 or 5 hours already a couple times. Good girl.  :o)

Cuddling up with mommy after a long day for both of us...

Here is a nice pic of all those cute, chubby little rolls...

Happy mommy and daddy!

Love this girl here.. My amazing doula!

The best big bro and big sis around!

Kota and Coop...

Mace and Coop...

3 comments:

Renae said...

Thanks for sharing! This brought back so many similar memories of my 3rd birth. I did that one without an epidural for the first time and also had a doula. It was difficult! Glad everthing went well!

Beckums said...

What a great story Teresa!! And you are a freaking champ btw!! My whole body gets super shaky after I give birth too, it's annoying!! Congrats again on your chunky little cutie pie!

The Tureks said...

You are a super hero! Congrats on such a beautiful and healthy baby.