Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Anniversary 2010

Well, considering I haven't blogged about birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, vacation, among other things, I think I need to step back into the blogging world.  Let's begin with Scott and I's anniversary!  What a fabulous place to start!

November 11, 2010 was our 4 year anniversary!  I often think how lucky I am to be married to such a laid back, patient, fun-loving guy!  I am an irritable person in general, so to have somebody that doesn't mind when I'm in a bad mood is so amazing!  I love spending time with him and I love seeing him with our kids.

Scott surprised me for our anniversary and got tickets to see Matt Costa at the House of Blues in Houston.  Those who don't know who Matt Costa is should look him up.  Mr. Pitiful, Miss Magnolia and Sunshine are a few of my favorite songs.  I LOVE Matt Costa!  And I was so excited not only to go to Houston to see him perform, but to have a mini vacation with just Scott and I!  We hadn't done that since before Mason was born.  I'm glad Scott just bought the tickets without asking me how I felt about going and leaving the kids, because I was still nursing at the time and wasn't sure how I felt about leaving them.  But at the same time, I was super excited and knew that it would work out.  I ended up pumping a little bit and leaving formula as well, but everything went perfect while we were gone.

We left on a Friday around noon for the show that night at 7pm.  We drove to Houston, and I have to admit, I loved driving with no kids in the car.  It was relaxing and so fun having a road trip with just Scott and I!  We arrived in Houston about 3 hours later and checked into our super-cool hotel, the Alden.  We were within walking distance from the House of Blues, so we freshened up and began walking toward our destination, stopping for some shopping on the way.

We made sure we were at the House of Blues by 6:30pm since the concert didn't have seats, and we wanted to make sure we were close.  Well, the House of Blues has two separate "rooms" where they hold concerts.  One is larger and one is smaller.  Matt Costa was playing in the smaller room.  So when we got to the door for the Bronze Peacock room, there was nobody there.  Literally, we were the ONLY two people there other than the bouncer.  We asked him if we were in the right spot and he said yes, but that the show probably wouldn't start until closer to 8pm.  Okay, we thought.  Weird, but no problem.  We walked around the area a bit more and got some hot chocolate.  This time when we came back to the door, there were a few other couples there waiting.  Eventually, we got inside and loved what we saw.  It was an intimate room with a little stage at the front, a bar in the back, some random couches on the side, and room in the middle for everyone to stand and watch the show.  It was such a fun room!

Around 8:30pm the band started and we were stoked!  At this point we weren't super familiar with Matt Costa, we had listened to his music, but we weren't positive what he looked like.  The guy singing was very hairy, with a long nappy beard, and looked like he might smell just a bit.  We didn't recognize any of the songs, but really enjoyed what we were hearing.  Soon the guy singing said he wanted to thank Matt Costa for letting his band open for him and that he's had a great time on the tour.  Ohhhh!  So this wasn't Matt Costa, what a relief!  Now we could appreciate the band, Everest, and enjoy the music without being a tad confused!

After Everest finished, we waited as everything got set up for Matt Costa.  Suddenly we heard a guitar coming from somewhere, getting closer to us.  We turned and saw Matt Costa!  He had come out playing in the middle of everyone and he was right in front of me singing Miss Magnolia!  Now this looked like Matt Costa!  The concert was amazing, as was the entire trip.  It got over close to midnight, and although we were both super tired, we were also pretty hungry since we had skipped out on dinner so that we would make it to the concert in time.  So we walked down the street of our hotel and found a fun place called, Cabo Mix-Mex Grill.  They served plantains as the side instead of fries and it was delicious!  We knew that there would be no children waking us up in the morning, so we were excited to sleep in!  Well, sleeping in only lasted til about 8am, but it was still nice to wake up just to the sun and not a child.  :o)

So we got up, showered, went to Einstein's Bagel's (which is not in San Antonio) and headed home.  It was a fabulous mini vacation and Scott and I had a wonderful time together!

Our view as we approached the House of Blues...

Waiting in line outside...

This is Everest...

And this is Matt Costa. LOVE him!

0 comments: