Tuesday, November 9, 2010

17 hours??

So let's start with the time change.  I'm not a big fan of Daylight Savings Time.  Blame it on growing up in Phoenix and never having to change the clocks.  I always got confused.  I used to always think, wait, what time is it in California right now?  What about Florida?  Heaven forbid, I ever needed to know the time in any state between those two!  At least in Phoenix, I knew my own time and was used to it.  Now, I spend weeks trying to figure out in my head which direction the time will be going.  Fall back and Spring forward they say.  Somehow that still doesn't help me when I think about it.  Now I still wonder what time it is in different places, but I shouldn't.  I forget that Florida will ALWAYS be an hour later than here. 

Anyway, one reason I don't like the time change is because of my kids.  They get used to going to bed at a certain time, and then bam! It changes on them.  So, I still try to put them to bed at the same time (which is technically an hour later).  But they still wake up when they were used to waking up.  So if I thought 7:30 was early, now I beg for 7:30 when 6:30 comes and my kids are awake!

So on to the topic of my post.  I put Dakota to bed at 7:30 last night, around the same time as normal.  I could stop here and ask for guesses at what time she woke up in the morning, but I'm not really sure how many people actually still read my blog and would post a guess!  So let me tell you, she woke up at 12:30pm!  That's PM.  Not in the middle of the night, but at lunch time when she would be about ready for her second nap.  I swear I went in and checked on her multiple times and each time she was breathing and sometimes in a slightly different position.  That, my friends, is a definite record in this household! 17 hours!

Those are the moments I think about if I only had one child and how much I could have gotten done during that time or how much sleep I could have gotten!  On the other hand, I was able to spend much needed one on one time with Mason.  We did lots of fun things that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise!

3 comments:

Linz said...

17 hours?!?!?! What the heck?

And didn't realize that about Arizone and daylight savings time, that would be so frustrating to try to figure out what time it was everywhere else!

Sheila and Mario said...

What the heck! I wish Joel would do that! Sigh...

PS - HATE daylight savings. Now I leave for work when Joel is still asleep and return home after dark. lame!

Queen 'Bina said...

My kids have always done the scary-long sleep just before a developmental growth spurt. Expect her to master some of the skills she's been working on and to start picking up ones you thought were still weeks, if not months away.